DAY 1 - MONDAY - 2nd December 2013
Venue: Lali Room, Holiday Inn, Suva, Fiji.
Conference & Tutorial on Practical Network Topics and Exchanges
09:00-09:20: Welcome Remarks
- PITA - Ivan Fong, President
- USP - Kisione Finau, Director ICT and Technical Services
09:20: APNIC Update.
09:40: ICANN Update.
09:55: NSRC Update.
10:10: Keynote Presentation
10:30: Group Photo and Morning Break
11:00: Connectivity for Oceania Research Network
- Hamish Lee, Subpartners
- Overview of the Oceania Submarine communications Network and
developing a new Oceania connectivity including Research and
11:20: Responsibile disclosures of Vulnerabilities
- Dean Pemberton, Network Startup Resource Center
- Every day security researchers find vulnerabilities in the
computer systems of organisations. Every day these vulnerabilities
go unreported because the researchers can't be sure the
organisation won't call the police. Every day some organisations
are effectively held to ransom by hackers threatening to go public
with vulnerabilities unless the organisation can manage to fix
These are some examples of situations which can be avoided through
the use of "Responsible Disclosure Guidelines". The New Zealand
Internet Taskforce is in the process of developing such a set of
guidelines. These guidelines will not only help organisations be
better prepared for the reporting of security vulnerabilities, they
will also allow researchers to feel more comfortable that they will
not end up explaining their legitimate actions to the police.
11:40: Broadband QoS, Measurements and Trends
- Shivanjani Anamika, Research Assistant, Pacific ICT Regulatory
- A report on recent QOS study/measurements for Broadband in PNG,
Vanuatu and Solomon Is, discussing key performance and service
metrics on broadband.
12:00: Vodafone Fiji ISP Experience
12:20: ISP experience on expectations, network operations,
challenges and development – a Managerial Perspective
12:40: Dimensioning USP regional network for ICT
12:55: Acknowledgements and Closing
13:00: Transfer to USP and Lunch Break at USP
14:00: Track 1 - Introduction to Network Routing
14:00: Track 2 & 3 - Boot Camp on Linux Basics
- Dean Pemberton, Jose Dominquez, NSRC, Phil Regnauld & Andy Linton, NSRC
17:30 - 19:00: Networking Reception